Knoydart 1980.

20/07/1980- 09/08/1980 (Age 17 years -17yrs 11 months)

No Expedition members list was given in the report. I have been through the membership list I have for 1984/1985 and extracted any members names I found for this trip together with names associated with articles in the report, they are shown below. Being a senior expedition it is quite probable that unless they went on to be ALs they dropped off the Society membership list.

Leader:- Ian Arrow

Chris M Dalton, K S Knott, Mathew Nettleton, Ian Swann, Joanna L Walker, D Roy Tooth, Michael R Young, Richard G Young, Stephen J Martin,

Clive Martin, Sue Scanlan, Ruth Arron, Dave Ward, Ian A?, Mike ?, Jane ?, Roger ?, Keith (Knott??) Mathew ?,

Jeff ?, Andy ?, Craig ?, Elie ?.

If you were on this expedition and aren't mentioned or if you remember someone else, please get in touch.


The Chairman paced the floor…………..

"What are you doing this summer Ian?"

"I - We"

"The board were wondering if……….."

Thus the wheels of fortune turned and my sister and I found ourselves wending our way across Rannoch Moor. Well we took a short break to help a hapless lorry out of a ditch - a big orange one I think it was.

The following morning in Mallaig. the expedition was really under way. A great pile of equipment was growing on the pier and the Western Isles' was quietly standing by as the expedition members descended on Mallaig Station. With surprising efficiency, the gear was carefully deployed over every inch of the Western Isles' deck. I was informed that this was to create better upholstered seating arrangements. As we passed Airor the rain started. We were getting a true welcoming. The expedition worked like demons to get the gear to the bothy, we were installed.

From the beginning the activities of the expedition were the most energetic I've known. Within the first few days nearly everyone had got to know the area around camp and was itching to go further. Bivvies were the order of the day, quick bivvies, fishing bivvies, high altitude bivvies. One hardy group walked to Inverie and took the boat to Tarbet. Here they obtained a souvenir frank on their maps from the Post Office (collections Monday and Friday). Marching east they took in the Five Munro's and many miles before returning to Samadalen. They returned just in time for Sue's 'run around’. A grand orienteering tour of the foothills behind camp.

On the water the canoes were being sent through their paces, not content to paddle around the bay. Mike and Stephen undertook an assault on the Inverguseran River, quite an epic adventure in which Stephen lost his red carpet slippers. Visited again in spate the estuary provided some real white water sport.

In camp bread runs were undertaken as though they didn't exist, the trip to the shop at Inverie being very popular. The first two people there bought the place out of Mars Bars. Richard established a record of 22 loaves carried back to camp.

The high point of the expedition for me must have been a night spent the top of Lhadar Bhein. Clive Martin and myself met up with Stephen, Jane, Roger, Ian and Keith who had gone up via Na Chruchan Ben Sa Caillich, From the top we could see the sun fall beyond the whole of the western chain. Then the lights of Portree, Broadford and the shipping in the sound of Sleat began to twinkle. To the south east was Scurr Na Ciche, the highest point on the peninsular. To the north. Loch Hourn, (the scene of Gavin Maxwells tale) in its dark blue veil. It was fascinating to see the sharp clean lines of Ben Scrill.

As people were aware the expedition was drawing to a close. Matthew and Dave arranged a camp sports day. There was a scramble to get out on David’s boat (David the crofter from Airor). Roy, John, Andy and Craig set out on a mammoth round the peninsular tour.

The expedition was not without its quieter moments. After a grand A.L.’s meal, (nothing to do with me I only arranged the flowers and lit the candles) a wonderful evening was spent round a massive beach fire, (courtesy of Walkers) when the camp musicians Ian and Janet really hit top gear.

My thanks must go out to the factor Mr. MacDonald, Bruce, the backroom boys of the S.H.S. and the motley crew of Knoydart 80 for making it such a success.

As we sailed away early on the last fine morning the sun suddenly blazed from above Na Cruchan and picked out in fantastic contrast the ruggedness of the Cullin. I knew there was more than one person who had set their heart on returning one day.



Photos thanks to Joanna Burgess (Née Walker)

On top of Ladhar Bheinn - Chris Dalton, Martin ?, Jeff ? (AL), Sue Scanlan (AL) and Roy Tooth [This may be a different group to that mentioned in the text above, I'm sure someone will confirm the names at some point].






Knoydart in the sunshine, Skye behind.

Photo thanks to Joanna Burgess (Née Walker)

From the 'Knoydart Olympics' in the S.H.S report.

"The most elaborate piece of equipment for the games was needed for

the Volley Ball match, so the regulation height of the net could be attained.

Two paddles from the canoes were sat apart at the required distance and

anchored to keep then erect, with fishing boxes which were found on the

nearby shores; A fishing net was found and hung over the paddles.

Therefore the scene was sat for the opening of the 'Knoydart Olympics'."

4 More photos from Joanna:

Above: Making a sandcastles on the sand bar linking the shore to Samadalan Island.

Top right: Camp when the tide was in and Samadalan Island in the background.

Below: Samadalan bothy

Below right: One of the ridges from Ladhar Bheinn

Leaders on Knoydart 1980 - Ian Arrow, Jane Ward, Dave ?, Richard Young, Jeff ?, Steve Martin and Sue Scanlan at front. Thanks to Joanna Burgess for the photo.